Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ah the good ole days

I was playing Socom 2 the other day and got frustrated when I failed each attempt to advance. I decided to go on Wii and buy a game from back in the day...something like Mario Bros. maybe Donkey Kong or something. Thinking about this reminded me of the games we would play as children and it made me very nostalgic. Released in 1992 (I was 7) I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 whenever my mom would let me. My sister Nique (She was 5) and I would team up against the evil Dr. Robotnic and we would really get into our roles. Since I was older I was always Sonic, and she my little side-kick Tails. I always felt so cool because Sonic was so fast...and blue, but I was always a little envious of Tails' cuteness and the way his tail would turn into a helicopter when he would return from death.
Of course Nique and I never got very far in the game but I'm not sure if it was our lack of skill or the fact that we were 5 and 7 and easily distracted by things like birds, shiny objects or the fact that our mom just broke out the video camera!!! My sister Rosa (then 11) would play solo and beat any game. We later learned she was a genious therefor Nique and I aren't that jealous anymore. I mean sure, go ahead and be a genious, but please don't make us feel inferior with your ability to destroy Dr.Robotnic in a matter of minutes.
The noise of the enemies popping, the sound of Sonic spinning, the rings being collected and that weird sound that happens when your character dies all make me very homesick...I don't like playing it alone. Someone must fill the void in my heart that is Tails.
I find it kind of strange that I outgrew playing with stuffed animals, legos and games like hide and seek but I still enjoy all videogames.

3 comments:

Just your average gamer...NOT said...

Ah, to reminisce of the past brings me to back to my Sonic Days on that old, yet classic console...

I actually played that in 1st/2nd grade alot with my best friend, Juila. She'd always be Sonic though, and I'd always be Tails. I like foxes more anyways. :)

We should play; You still got your system?

Kerr said...

fuck those robot fish. how can u jump through a bridge? he should just use tails as a meat shield.

Liquid_Courage said...

I always liked saving the little rabbits, birds, and dogs at the end. For some reason they never thanked me....ever.